Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Party We Call Life: A Story of Importance


The Party We Call Life

   I can see my brother, Steven, sorting through pebbles and shells to find something eye catching. Steven is from my father’s first marriage and is a good eight years older than. My mother still loved him as her own child and Steven loved her. I remember these long days on the coast of Ireland. One time I found the most perfect marble, green pebble I had ever seen. The whole of the Atlantic Ocean compressed into a single stone. It later became a polished trinket on my most prized and only jewelry piece, an earring. Steven always did things like that; he’d find lost treasures and make them into beautiful creations. The earring dangles, and along with the ocean’s pebble, my brother attached a piece of thin flattened gold. As Steven presented it to me, he said, “Pippa, if yer golden eyes get brighter than they ‘er now, that big ole light bulb in the sky will be outta his job.” I was nine-years-old then, only two months away from that destined night when our parents were murdered.

   It’s a sunny school day, the last school day of my high school career actually. Last days should be happy ones, but I cannot muster tears of joy. I think of those last memorable words my brother said to me. I take the earring from what was once our mother’s jewelry box, pierce it through my right earlobe, silently cry and pray for strength, if only for one more day. The tears stop. I stroke my mother’s pearl necklace lying in the box. Then I close its screeching lid, stare at the rose carved into it, and leave for school. This morning is no different from the past decade since I was adopted into America.

   Most everything about me constantly reminds me of my ma. I have her curly, brown hair, golden eyes; my uncle says I even acquired her laugh. They were all friends you know? My ma, pa, and uncle all grew up in the same Irish village that both my brother and I grew up in as well. I often listen to my uncle tell stories about all the fun they had and trouble they got into; whether there was a difference between their fun and trouble I couldn't tell.

   My Uncle Sean is the one who adopted me after my parents died. He was really close to my family until he moved to America around the time I was born. Since my brother was too young to take of me, they decided America would be better for me. He is a good replacement father though. Uncle Sean’s a hard working carpenter, kind, understanding, and very fair in judgment are some of his good features. I don’t know where he got those from because my stern father, who played bag pipes for parades and funerals, was practically the polar opposite to his brother. I wonder if Steven and I are so different… We haven’t talked much since I left Ireland, but some day he’ll come for me and we’ll be happy in Ireland once again.


   Caitlyn is leaning over my shoulder, asking, “Why are you still painting when it is the last day of art class?” I can only reply with another question, “Is one permitted from using a calculator on the last day of math class?” To which we both laugh because we despise math.

   As much as I love my tall, blonde, athletic friend, she never can shut her gob. I was thinking about my memories in Ireland, when my thought process is redirected toward my friend who just asked the vague question, “So, Piper, will you go with me?” My answer is a blank stare, then an instinctively drawn out but friendly, “Sure.” Excited rambling resumed, and I soon found out that I just agreed to go to a party, but not just a party, the legendary Graduation Party.

    It’s safe to assume that I have never been invited, nor thought of going, to a high school party. I went to a friend’s birthday celebration when I was about twelve and decided to never partake in any more after everyone laughed when I asked, in my then profound Irish accent, where the bagpipes were. Children can be so cruel and some never grow out of it.

    I decided that I should give up my fear of parties for a few reasons. First, my only friend invited me because she needs me there for support so she can get with a fella she likes that will be attending. Second, it is a graduation party and I am graduating, it’s never too late to finally become acquainted with my peers. The last and most important reason would be that I made a promise to Caitlyn, and it isn't like my family or me to turn my back on a promise. My father always said, “Life is not worth living without doing what’s right and honorable.” What’s more honorable than keeping a promise to a great friend? Let’s hope Uncle Sean feels the same.

   Sitting on the front porch swing, I saw a few familiar faces shuffling off their school bus across the street. The first one to descend appears to be Grace Benitez. She’s a lovely girl with raven black hair, tan skin, just turned eight, and now that it’s summertime she’ll be wandering around the neighborhood in her princess costumes with her wand granting the wishes of her friends and casting spells on her enemies turning them into frogs. The frog spells would be directed toward the two boys that followed her. They’re the youngest of the Carrington clan. A twelve-year-old named Paul and a ten-year-old named Sam, two mischievous pranksters that take every bit of Grace’s wrath as an accomplishment.

   “Piper!” A sweet, excited Grace exclaimed toward me as I waved. Grace sits beside me and clings to my arm. She talks about her last day at school and about the Carrington brothers chasing her at recess and pulling her hair on the bus. “Boys are dumb. They better watch out this summer because I got a load of nasty spells for them two.” I wish I were young again and only worried about such things. At eight I still had everything.

   When night came, and supper was prepared, I figured out what I needed to say. “Today was my last day of school Uncle Sean,” I began. “I have passed all of my classes and will be graduating with honors. Isn't that good uncle?” Uncle Sean smiles at me to signal his happiness. “Ye’re more and more like yer ma e’ryday. She was a whiz kid herself, not like yer pa and I. Always proving us wrong with her books and her philosophy.” He chuckles as he reminisced.

   “Uncle Sean? I was wondering, since I have done so well in my schooling, and haven’t disgraced you in any way. Could I go to a party tomorrow night? It’s for the graduating class. My friend Caitlyn invited me, and she has been my only true friend in America, I wouldn't want to let her down. I assure you I will be responsible and won’t do anything foolish.” He looked at me suspiciously and asked, “Why er ye so interested in partying all a sudden?” I was shocked. Expecting a straightforward yes or no, as usual, I forgot to answer him. “Aye? What is it? A fella? I was a teenager once; I understand what happens at those things. My answer is nay.”

   As I try to explain further, he silences me and says, “Pippa, I know you are a responsible young lass, but the American teenagers are no different from Irish blokes. And we both know what they are capable of doing.” With that I excused myself, retreating quietly to my room.

   My parents were murdered by a group of teenagers ten years since. They were out late for a walk, which was rare. The gang of fluthered, bold teens surprised them and demanded money. My parents’ coins were not enough for all of them, and so they decided in their drunken stupor to shoot my mother and father. I really wish he hadn't reminded me of what people are capable of doing.

   My uncle knocks at the door and I tell him to enter. “I was just on the phone with Sarah and John Benitez. They asked if it would be alright that you babysit Grace for them tomorrow night. I decided for you, and you are doing it.” We start arguing about how he can’t decide things for me and he can’t protect me from everything. “I don’t want to hear your guff. I am your uncle, and your parents wouldn't have wanted you to go to that party either…” I interrupted him, “You don’t care.. You left my parents, you left all of us. My brother is coming back for me and when he does we’ll go to Ireland and you’ll never see us again. It’ll be just like before and you won’t have to worry about me ever.” I caught him staring at something on my dresser. He could be staring at nothing, but it looks like my mother’s box. He looked back at me again. Defeated, he said goodnight, and left.

   I decided to call Caitlyn and tell her I can’t go because my uncle is being an arse. She was very disappointed. “Why don’t you sneak out? I do it all the time and if you get caught what is he going to do? Send you back to Ireland?” We both chuckled at that. I replied, “If only, Caitie-Did. He’s making me babysit the neighbor girl.” We both thought, if only there were a way to babysit and go to the party at the same time. Where there is a will, there is a way!


   Night has come again, and I pace around the Benitez’s kitchen. I wonder about the exciting, new things awaiting me. Maybe I’ll start liking parties again. There’s a knock at the back door. It’s Paul and Sam Carrington, just the two boys I was hoping for. I remind them of our deal. Don’t wake up Grace, don’t destroy the house, don’t answer the door, and they’ll be paid forty dollars, twenty each. I wouldn't be gone too long anyway, just long enough for Caitlyn to get comfortable. Then my promise will be full-filled.

   I drove us both to the party. Loudness and chaos is my description of this house party, but Caitlyn is still excited. Isn't that life though; it’s loud and chaotic, but yet people live and some thrive in it. We found the lad that she fancies, they went off to talk, and I was left alone. Maybe I wasn't so important in Caitlyn’s plan. I sent her a text message saying I need to relieve my temporary babysitters and to call me when she wants to go home.

   Perhaps I could have lived without going, but I played my part and feel much better. I turned the corner heading back into town and I see a couple cars alongside the road. The first one I didn't recognize right away, but the other is an oddly familiar blue car. The blue car I saw leaving the party a half hour before I did was smashed in the front and the boy in the driver’s seat was moaning. I called the police. After I talked to them for a while I went down in the ditch to check on the other vehicle. My heart sank to my feet. It was Uncle Sean’s truck… I hurried to the driver’s side but no one was inside. Then I heard a deep, agonizing moan and found his motionless form lying in the grass.

   My cell phone dropped to the ground. "Uncle Sean, what happened? What are you doing out so late? Are you hurt?” I didn't have to ask the last question. In the moonlight I could see the thick wet blotch on the top of his head that could only be blood, and his body, mangled. “ Piper? Were you in that car? Are you alright?” I began to cry, I cried for a long time. Before I could say anything, he went on talking, “The car swerved out of nowhere Mary. “ Mary? That’s my mother’s name, he must be hallucinating. “I was heading to find ‘er Mary. She wanted to go to that party so bad and she’s so smart that I knew she’d find a way to get there. After I found her car gone, I almost had to beat information outta them Carrington brothers. They remind me so much of me and Pete when we were young. I miss those days Mary. Don’t you?” Still sobbing, I nodded.

   “Uncle Sean, stay awake!” I patted him on the cheek, and he opened his eyes to continue rambling. “I remember you always liked roses so I carved one into the wooden jewelry box I made for you. I saw it recently somewhere, in my dreams… We loved each other so much didn't we? I’m sorry I left you and our Pippa.” Our Pippa?...“ I wanted to be there for you and our daughter... I needed to go to America though. Ireland wasn't for me... you knew that, but you wouldn't come. You loved that island. Piper loves it too.” He’s starting to cough and shake really bad now, where is the ambulance?

   “Besides, I always said Peter made the better husband and father. Remember when he’d say, ‘Life is not worth living without doing what’s right and honorable’? I didn't take it as seriously as I should have. Now I know what he meant, life is not worth living if you don’t do what’s right and honorable to your heart. That’s why I’m sorry Mary. I was too scared of my heart, scared of a life with you and Piper. She came back to me though. She is my second chance to live.”

   Soon, all he could do was cough. Then his eyes started to close. “No, please stay awake, keep talking to me… Da.” That caught his attention. “Pippa? What did you say?” I couldn't say it again. “You must not close your eyes Uncle Sean.” His eyes were fluttering, and in a hopeful voice, he said, “ You know I love you Pippa.” I replied silently, “I love you, da…” And just like that he was gone. My father was lying in my arms, cold and lifeless, as flashing lights engulfed us.


   Two months later, I stood at my bedroom window, peering out of it for the last time. My brother finally contacted me and I will shortly be on my way to Ireland to meet him and his family. I’ll miss America I suppose. The children will be the most missed. Grace and the Carrington brothers are playing outside now, singing Ring Around the Rosie loudly. They do as children do; hold hands, spin around in circles, and fall down laughing. I am sure that my father, mother, and uncle are doing the same right now in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment